Search Lenoir Community College Lenoir Community College - Change Your World

Disability Services

Who is eligible for disability services?
An individual is considered to have a “disability” if she/he has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity such as seeing, hearing, speaking, walking, breathing, performing manual tasks, learning, caring for oneself, or working.

What laws apply to disability services?
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a law designed to ensure that disabled persons who are otherwise qualified enjoy equal access to educational and employment opportunities. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 also applies.

Who can help me with disability services?
At Lenoir Community College, one of the Student Services counseling staff members is designated as the Americans with Disabilities Act Counselor. The ADA counselor assists students and faculty with any reasonable accommodations that need to be made to provide equal access to the college’s programs. Contact information for the ADA Counselor is listed at the end of this section of information.

NOTE: Students who have disabilities are required to self-disclose any request for accommodations. In addition, those requests for special accommodations must be provided to the Disability Counselor or Director of Counseling at least 30 days before the first day of class. This requirement covers face-to-face or distance education courses.

What are some examples of services that are available?

Support Services:

  • Tutoring
  • Note Takers
  • Interpreters (ASL)
  • CART Reporters

Assistive Technology:

  • CCTV
  • CD Player for Audio Books
  • Zoom Text Software
  • JAWS Software

An ADA Counselor is available Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. An evening appointment with an ADA counselor can be scheduled by calling (252) 527-6223, ext. 331.

How do disability services in college differ from those in high school?
A student making the transition from high school to college needs to be aware of the differences in procedure that will be encountered. Educational laws govern services to the disabled in elementary and secondary schools. Services provided at the college level come under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. As a result, the student, rather than parents or teachers, becomes the principle decision-maker in any planning process and also signs any necessary paperwork. In fact, the student’s first decision must be whether or not s/he desires to seek accommodations. If so, it is up to him/her to contact the ADA Counselor.

Differences between High School and College for Students with Disabilities

What type of information do I need to provide about my disability?
Documentation including a diagnosis is required by law in order to determine eligibility and must be from a licensed/certified professional. Since a current level of functioning should be included, the documentation should be recent. High School Individual Education Plans (IEP) and 504 Plans, while informative, are not sufficient to establish eligibility.

A student wishing to receive accommodations needs to follow these steps:

  1. Contact the ADA Counselor and identify her/himself as desiring accommodations.
  2. Provide recent documentation of the disability for which one is seeking accommodations as soon as possible to allow time to make arrangements. Guidelines for documentation of the applicable disability should be printed out. The guidelines need to be given to the professional providing the documentation. The professional needs to complete the documentation form and send it to the ADA Counselor at the address on the guidelines. Forms can be printed below.
  3. Wait for notification from the ADA Counselor that acceptable documentation has been received and accommodations can now be approved.
  4. Meet with the ADA Counselor to fill out a Request for Accommodations and to sign the notices to the instructors of each class for which she/he is registered. These notices outline the accommodations to be provided and must be issued at the beginning of each semester.
  5. Deliver the notices to each class instructor.
  6. Notices to instructor must be obtained again at the beginning of each semester.

Website Accessibility
Lenoir Community College is dedicated to fully include persons with disabilities and special needs. In compliance with Section 508 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), LCC is committed to meet and exceed Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG).

If you have web accessibility questions, comments, or suggestions concerning the website, please contact the Web Developer.

Forms for Documentation
(Must be printed out and submitted by mail/fax)

Guidelines for Documentation of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
Guidelines for Documentation of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Guidelines for Documentation of a Learning Disorder
Guidelines for Documentation of Psychological Disorders
Guidelines for Documentation of a Physical Health Disorder

General LCC Forms:
(Can be filled out and submitted online)

Online Application for Admission

Related Links:
Request Support Services
Americans With Disabilities Act
Differences in Legal Rights & Responsibilities in Secondary & Postsecondary Education
DO-IT Center on Assistive Technology Information and Opportunities including Financial Aid

For more information, please contact:
Dr. John Paul Black
Dean of Student Services

Admin Building 140 C
Phone: (252) 527-6223 ext. 318
Fax: (252) 233-6879

Have Financial Aid questions?