Home/Future Students/Disability Services

Disability Services

Frequently Asked Questions

An individual is considered to have a “disability” if she/he has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity such as seeing, hearing, speaking, walking, breathing, performing manual tasks, learning, caring for oneself, or working.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a law designed to ensure that disabled persons who are otherwise qualified enjoy equal access to educational and employment opportunities. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 also applies.

At Lenoir Community College, one of the Student Services counseling staff members is designated as the Americans with Disabilities Act Counselor. The ADA counselor assists students and faculty with any reasonable accommodations that need to be made to provide equal access to the college’s programs. Contact information for the ADA Counselor is listed at the end of this section of information.


Students who have disabilities are required to self-disclose any request for accommodations. In addition, those requests for special accommodations must be provided to the Disability Counselor or Director of Counseling at least 30 days before the first day of class. This requirement covers face-to-face or distance education courses.

Support Services:

  • Tutoring
  • Note Takers
  • Interpreters (ASL)
  • CART Reporters

Assistive Technology:

  • CCTV
  • CD Player for Audio Books
  • Zoom Text Software
  • JAWS Software

An ADA Counselor is available Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. An evening appointment with an ADA counselor can be scheduled by calling (252) 527-6223, ext. 331.

A student making the transition from high school to college needs to be aware of the differences in procedure that will be encountered. Educational laws govern services to the disabled in elementary and secondary schools. Services provided at the college level come under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. As a result, the student, rather than parents or teachers, becomes the principle decision-maker in any planning process and also signs any necessary paperwork. In fact, the student’s first decision must be whether or not s/he desires to seek accommodations. If so, it is up to him/her to contact the ADA Counselor.

Differences between High School and College for Students with Disabilities

Documentation including a diagnosis is required by law in order to determine eligibility and must be from a licensed/certified professional. Since a current level of functioning should be included, the documentation should be recent. High School Individual Education Plans (IEP) and 504 Plans, while informative, are not sufficient to establish eligibility.

A student wishing to receive accommodations needs to follow these steps:

  1. Contact the ADA Counselor and identify her/himself as desiring accommodations.
  2. Provide recent documentation of the disability for which one is seeking accommodations as soon as possible to allow time to make arrangements. Guidelines for documentation of the applicable disability should be printed out. The guidelines need to be given to the professional providing the documentation. The professional needs to complete the documentation form and send it to the ADA Counselor at the address on the guidelines. Forms can be printed below.
  3. Wait for notification from the ADA Counselor that acceptable documentation has been received and accommodations can now be approved.
  4. Meet with the ADA Counselor to fill out a Request for Accommodations and to sign the notices to the instructors of each class for which she/he is registered. These notices outline the accommodations to be provided and must be issued at the beginning of each semester.
  5. Deliver the notices to each class instructor.
  6. Notices to instructor must be obtained again at the beginning of each semester.
ADA Appeal Procedures

Individuals who believe they have a legitimate grievance against Lenoir Community College or an employee of the educational institution regarding the use of accommodations are strongly encouraged to contact the Dean of Student Services, Kim Hill (252-527-6223, ext. 301/Email: krhill01@lenoircc.edu) or Vice President of Student Services & Institutional Effectiveness, Dr. Stanley J. Elliott (252-527-6223, ext. 370/Email: sjelliott88@lenoircc.edu.

Individuals also have the right to file a complaint directly with the US Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights, by calling 800-412-3481 (voice), 800-877-8339 (TTY).

Our goal is to resolve any concerns as quickly as possible while ensuring the student understands their rights and responsibilities and maintaining the integrity of our academic programs.

For more information, please contact:
Gloria Leak
Student Support and Accessibility Advisor

Admin (Bldg 3), Room 140E
Phone: (252) 527-6223, ext. 331
Fax: (252) 233-6899
Email: glleak92@lenoircc.edu