About the Leigh and John McNairy Library
The Leigh and John McNairy Library, consisting of both the main library and Heritage Place, provides a collection of books, periodicals, audiovisuals, web-based resources, and other learning materials to support curricular needs as well as to inspire student and faculty interests. A student ID is required for any type of transaction in the main library.
Heritage Place, which is a archival annex attached to the main library, offers a special reserved collection of genealogical and local/state historical materials. The Heritage Place collection includes 19th century newspapers of the Kinston area, census records, church records, land grants, and other colonial records of counties in eastern North Carolina.
The mission of the Lenoir Community College Leigh and John McNairy Library is to support and reflect the programs of the College by promoting the teaching-learning process for students, faculty, staff, and the community by:
- Acquire, process, preserve & circulate print/nonprint materials for degree/nondegree programs
- Maintain the appropriate physical facilities for the print collection
- Provide up-to-date equipment for the use of nonprint materials
- Instruct users in the effective use and implementation of Library resources
- Maintain & further develop a highly capable staff through professional development opportunities & utilization of individual talents
- Provide services that meet or exceed the requirements of the various accreditation agencies
- Incorporate technological advances to expand access to information to distance education students