Lenoir Community College - Change Your World

Grievance Process
for Out-of-State Students

Lenoir Community College (LCC) desires to resolve student grievances, complaints and concerns in an expeditious, fair and amicable manner. Students residing outside of the State of North Carolina while enrolled at LCC who desire to resolve a grievance should first follow the College’s Student Grievance Procedure. If an issue cannot be resolved after exhausting Lenoir Community College’s Student Grievance Procedure, students may file a complaint with the North Carolina Community College System; LCC’s accrediting agency, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC); or the state agency where the student resides, as listed in the Out-of-State Agency Directory.

NCCCS, Office of Proprietary School Services North Carolina Community College System of Proprietary School Services
200 West Jones Street
Raleigh, NC 27699
Mailing address:
5016 Mail Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-5016
Telephone: (919)807-7146
Fax: (919)807-7164

Commission on Colleges of the SACS Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Telephone: (404)679-4500
Complaint Procedures

Out-of-State Agency Directory The directory lists the agency and contact information for each state along with the District of Columbia. (Revised August 28, 2013)