Practical Nursing Diploma–D45660
The Practical Nursing curriculum prepares individuals with the knowledge and skills to provide nursing care to children and adults. Students will participate in assessment, planning, implementing, and evaluating nursing care.
Graduates are eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEXPN) which is required for practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse. Employment opportunities include hospitals, rehabilitation/long term care/home health facilities, clinics, and physicians’ offices.
Students will be required to attend courses on campus to complete this program.
BEFORE applying to the Practical Nursing (PN) program, an applicant must satisfy the math and science prerequisites. Students must also complete any needed developmental Reading or English courses before applying to the PN program.
An applicant must have completed one of the following before receiving the PN application packet:
- Qualifying placement scores within the last 5 years or
- MAT 080 with a grade of “C” or higher within last 5 years or
- DMA 010-080 with a grade of “P” within the last 5 years or
- MAT 122, MAT 141, MAT 151, MAT 161, MAT 171, MAT 263 course or an approved college algebra math with a grade of “C” or higher
An applicant must have completed the following before receiving the PN application packet:
- Biology 168 with a “C” or higher within 5 years of admissions and BIO 169. If BIO 169 has not been completed with a “C” or higher within 5 years of admissions, proof of enrollment at an approved college/university is required. The equivalent(s) to BIO 168 and 169 must be approved by the Registrar’s Office and the Dean of Health Sciences and Nursing.
If you have completed Steps 1–4 and have satisfied the math and science prerequisites, you are ready to continue the application process:
INTENT TO APPLY Forms are accepted from the first Tuesday in September until the last Tuesday in January from qualified applicants.
Additional PN Documents and Links:
Course and hour requirements
For questions about admission into Health Sciences Programs, please contact:
Student Services Manager
Administration (Building 3), Room 140F
Phone: (252) 527-6223, ext. 385
Fax: (252) 233-6897
For more Health Sciences Program information, please contact:
Susan Whitley, RN, MSN, CNE
Practical Nursing Program Chair/Instructor
Health Sciences (Building 13), Room 234
Phone: (252) 527-6223, ext. 803
Fax: (252) 520-9895
Dr. Alexis Welch, RN
Dean of Health Sciences and Nursing
Health Sciences (Building 13), Room 217
Phone: (252) 527-6223, ext. 801
Fax: (252) 520-9598